Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Couple of Firsts

I had a couple of firsts today - the first one was a cruise ship docked in the bay. I know it happens occasionally, but this is the first time I'd seen it. It was moored offshore and then smaller boats were being used to ferry passengers in to take their Monterey excursion.

If you look at the photo below, you see the cruise ship in the background and then two of the smaller boats (on the right, with the orange tops) docked at Fisherman's Wharf, dropping off and picking up cruise passengers.


After that, I went and checked out the local cove where you find harbor seal pups at this time of year. It's right next to the recreational trail, but they fence it off so you don't disturb the seals. Even so, the fence is low and you're above and close to the seals, so you get a good view.

This time, I got a great view - a seal went into labor while I was there and gave birth to a pup all in around 20 mins! Amazing thing to witness. I only had the point and shoot camera with me, so photos are pretty poor quality, but the first one below shows the mother seal during birth and the second one shows the baby seal (pointed to by an arrow) a minute or two after it was born with its mother looking back at it.

The seagulls were around to try and get the afterbirth, apparently seagulls find seal afterbirth tasty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home